The Blogging vs YouTube covers the little differences and similarities in the two types of content creation medium. The purpose, elements, cost, and platform are discussed here.
A blog refers to an online platform that publishes posts and articles on one or more topics. There are blogs that are personal and run by one person. On another hand, there are large-scale blog sites. These publish articles written by a number of different authors.
Apart from text, a blog can feature elements like
- Mobile apps
- Embedded content
Purpose of Blog
- To share thought and opinion; opinion about certain political scenario, about new tech advancement, general view about human nature, etc.
- To share personal life experiences; travel blog, personal experience with a product or service
- To share knowledge; medical knowledge, tech tips, cooking tips, music tips, etc.
Platform for blogging
Cost to Start a Blog
Pros of Blogging
- You are the boss, the founder, or the owner of your website or blog.
- Can use various third party Advertising platforms apart from Google Adsense
- Earn more with Adsense in blogging
- Website or blog is a strong asset. A good blog can sell on thousands of dollars on platforms like flippa or empire flippers.
- A blog does not depend on you. One can hire a writer.
- A good option for long term passive income
Cons of Blogging
- Money is required for hosting, domain, etc.
- New Blog, takes time to be crawled or ranked by Google
- Require good knowledge of SEO
- Organic traffic is hard to get
When we say YouTube, this covers the documentaries, Vlogs, Video Podcasts, pranks etc.
But for the this post, we will focus on just vlog.
A vlog can also be referred to as a Video blog. The name will give you an idea that it’s kind of blogging but in a video format. Traditionally it is done with a selfie video kind of style that is the person facing the camera and holding it with one hand. In the blog, it’s the text that conveys everything and in Vlog, it’s the video.
Elements in Vlog
Purpose of Vlog
- To show personal life, family, and daily routine. Give an opinion on social matters. Show the reality of a common man’s life.
- To entertain people; pranks, games, adventures, extreme traveling, etc.
- To showcase skills; tech tips, cooking skills, car modifying skills, etc
Cost to Start a Vlog/Youtube Channel
Creating Youtube Channel is free. All you need is a camera. A phone camera can do the job for you at the start. I mean apart from a good internet upload speed, you need nothing.
Pros of Youtube
- It’s free
- No limitation on Video upload etc.
- SEO is easy for YouTube
- Clickbait’s are much more effective on YouTube
- Expressions involved. Thus, a much deeper connection with visitors/subscribers
- Message can be more effectively conveyed with the use of multimedia.
Cons of Youtube
- You are the face of the channel. It’s very hard that someone can take control of your channel. If you leave, your channel dies.
- Need consistency, to stay relevant
- Can’t be considered an assest
- A lot of Competition. Hard to find orginality.